1/21/20

 Today is the last day in California and boy, has it been one amazing experience. We got to tour places and meet people I never thought I...

Saturday, January 18, 2020

1/16/20

Starting off today's journey, we rode the beautiful hills all the way to Malibu, where we visited Creative Visions. Founder and Chairman, Kathy Eldon is a unique, compassionate and driven. I really do not think I have met a women so heart-driven and so focused in the work she believes in. Getting to understand Kathy and her life at Creative Visions, I learned not only what she works for but I learned a little bit about who Kathy is. A mother, a fighter, an activist and a human trying to bring this Earth kindness and genuine love through stories and mass-media. The foundation dives deep into Dan Eldon's Legacy and who he was to not only his family but the world.
Dan Eldon passed away when he was only 22 years old,  living a life most do not get to experience. Traveling, photographing, taking videos, journaling, and adventuring, Dan took art and his creative talent to showcase the violent and dangerous world that many people are not being entirely exposed to. Dan attempted and achieved to enlighten people from all over the world of the issues in society and what is really happening. 
Sister Amy and Mother Kathy carried his legacy on, by taking all of Dan's artwork and journals, creating documentaries, books, short films, social media platforms and more just to keep Dan's spirit alive. 
Having the opportunity to get to know Kathy, made my eyes open to the idea of awareness and how naive many of us, including myself. Taking a night and full day to reflect on my experience with Kathy has made me questioned what I am doing and what my purpose really is. As simple as being kind to others or traveling and reporting like Dan I can always be doing something more! 
I am beyond grateful to have made a connection with someone so admirable and I'd hope to follow in Kathy and Dan's footsteps.
Watching the documentary based on Dan's story called The Journey is the Destination, was moving and eyeopening. But what Kathy shows at shows at Creative Visions is even more so. It is persuasive, inspirational, expressive and most importantly artistic. 
Thank you again to Kathy Eldon, Amy Eldon, Ella Charon, Alicia Doughery. 

After Kathy kindly welcoming us into her home for a quick lunch and pacific coast view, we headed off to CBS to watch the sitcom Carol's Second Act. The class and I got to be the first live audience of the year, where we observed and laughed a lot. The biggest take away from this show was that I got to really see the Director, 1st AD and writer up close than previously watching MOM. The writer was always making changes to the script, the Director was very calm and trusted her staff/crew and it showed. And speaking of the crew, it was dominated by women which I felt really touched by. It's not everyday you see that in production.









2 comments:

  1. What an amazing gift to get to spend this time with such an inspiring person and truly get a look into how she has memorialized and paid tribute to her son's life and his impact on the world. What a once in a lifetime experience to get to learn about Dan and his work from a such a deep and heartfelt perspective. Prof. Shanks

    ReplyDelete